Friday, April 10, 2015

THE PERSONAL STORY BEHIND THE PASSOVER SURPRISE


Author Janet Ruth Heller describes the personal story behind The Passover Surprise in this blog interview.

Q: How did you come up with the idea for The Passover Surprise, and why did you incorporate the Passover holiday into the story?

A: The Passover Surprise is based on a real-life problem that I had when I was nine years old. I did not ask adults or friends for help. I was deeply hurt by favoritism within my family. However, I wanted Lisa to get help from wise adults in my story.


I set The Passover Surprise during Passover because it is a time of miracles and reversals of fortune: slaves get freed, but masters get smitten with plagues. A small miracle happens for Lisa when she persuades her father to listen to her perspective. ...

Read the full interview in Book Q&As with Deborah Kalb.

No comments:

Post a Comment